Recipe type: Main
- 3-4 Large ripe plantains
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red/ green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-teaspoon cumin spice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (thyme)
- ½ -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tomatoes chopped or 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1-pound ground beef/chicken
- 1 16-ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- 2 -3 green onion chopped
- ¼-teaspoon ground coriander
- ½-teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 packet sazon or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 2-3 Tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2-3 large eggs
- Using a sharp knife cut both ends off the plantain. This will make it easy to grab the skin of the plantains. Slit a shallow line down the long seam of the plantain; peel only as deep as the peel. Remove plantain peel by pulling it back. Slice the plantains horizontally into 4-5 pieces depending on plantains. You may either fry or bake the plantains. I prefer frying.
- Heat up a large skillet or cast iron with oil up to ½ inch- medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Fry the plantain in batches, turning once, until lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan (it will make the plantains to be soggy and absorb excess oil)
- Use a slotted spoon, transfer the fried plantains and drain on paper towels.
- Spray a baking sheet and place plantains on them in a single layer; spray lightly over the plantains using the canola oil spray and bake at 400 degrees F, turning over slices, after 8 minutes for about 12- 20 minutes or till plantains turn slightly brown.
- Next add about 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet followed by onions, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne, oregano, sweat for about a minute.
- Then add bell pepper, tomato sauce, bring to a simmer, add ground meat, beans and cook for about 7-10 minutes, while stirring frequently to prevent burning burn add about broth or water as needed. Season
- with salt, chicken bouillon or sazon.
- Finally add olives , green onions and parsley, adjust for seasoning. Remove and set aside
- Spray a deep 8×8 pan with cooking spray or rub with butter/oil.
- Line the bottom of the baking pan with the fried plantain. Make sure there is no space between the plantains.
- Add enough of the beef mixture to make a layer, just like you would prepare lasagna. Alternate rows of plantains and meat until both are used up. Add cheese in between if desired
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and pour over the Pastelon. Making sure to cover the entire thing.
- Add cheese if desired, or only use cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until all the egg has cooked through and the cheese are bubbly.
- Let it cool then serve warm